Thursday, May 16, 2019

Day 5: Amsterdam and Holland

     Every time I try to tell people that we went to Amsterdam for one day they don't believe. However, we really did. We booked a flight that was only 100 euros round-trip to fly to Amsterdam around 7 a.m. that morning, and return around 9 p.m. I had truly no clue how we were going to see everything in one day, but since we were already in Europe, and it was so cheap to fly around this area, we felt like we had to.
     We rode the tube to a nearby overground train station, then we got on a train that we rode for two hours to Luton airport, got on the plane that we were on for only an hour and 45 minutes, and ta-da! We were in Amsterdam.
     It was overcast and cloudy, which was apparently normal for Amsterdam weather. When we got off the plane, I was starving, so I bought a weird croissant thing that had a piece of ham and melted cheese on it, and a strange bread thing that had spicy sausage in it, and the most wonderful coffee drink I had ever had: a cappuccino latte. I did not even know these food and beverage items existed, but they were delicious and so Dutch. There were people having beers and ciders at the same cafe that morning around 9 a.m., and that's when I decided I would definitely like this place. When I used the bathroom at the airport, I heard around four different languages. There was so much culture and diversity here.
    When we walked out of the airport, there was a bus with an obnoxious amount of tulip stickers on it, and that's how I knew it was our bus. We were going to see the Kükenof tulip fields in Holland, which was only a 40 minute bus ride from the airport. The tulips had just started to bloom, and I knew that this was one stop we had to make before going into Centräll Amsterdam.
     All of the signs were in Dutch, and I was glad we were not trying to drive on these roads. When we arrived at the tulip fields, I could see the flowers just past the entrance. There was an unbelievable amount of tulips and other types of flowers. Some were in acres of fields, other were in outdoor garden patches, and the rest were inside a giant greenhouse.
     I didn't know where to start, so we just wandered around for hours looking at all of the beautiful flowers. I felt a sensation of sadness, as I wished more than anything that my grandmother would've been there with me to see this. She loved flowers, and would've loved being in this place. I promised myself I would take her there someday.
     There was a flower inside the greenhouse called "Spryng Break" and I decided that this was my favorite, since we were on spring break.
    We climbed up stairs to stand atop a windmill and look out at fields of tulips as far as I could see. It was entirely different world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

the top of the mountains

 i grew up in a dry valley surrounded by mountains. Endless fields of corn and alfalfa stretched for miles until they reached the foot of th...