Thursday, May 16, 2019

Day 6: Bath

     I woke up the next day feeling like I had been hit by a train. My whole body hurt from walking so much and running through the hard floors of an airport. I knew that this couldn't deter me from continuing the adventure, so I sucked it up, burning shin splints wouldn't stop the exploring.
     Since Kayla didn't have class that day, we decided to go to Bath, England. This place was a two hour train ride from where we were, but Kayla said it was so worth it. I had really wanted to go, because Jane Austen had lived and written novels in this place.
     I was relieved to be on a train, where I could sleep for a substantial amount of time and rest my legs. I ended up only sleeping for a short time, because the view from the train was breathtaking. The countryside was so green and lush, with little, old houses that I would die to escape to and live in. Life seemed so much simpler out here.
     We arrived in Bath, and the train ride didn't even seem that long. Right when we stepped off the train, I fell in love. This place was magical. All of the buildings were old and made of limestone or dark grey stone. The aesthetic was breathtaking, and I couldn't stop averting my eyes every which way.
     Even in the shopping centers, the buildings were still old and the architecture was so lovely. We went an got 99 ice cream cones, and ate them in a cobble stone park square where a lady played the piano right in the center. The sun was warm on our backs, and I felt like I could stay in that spot forever.
     We decided to go see the Jane Austen house, and as we walked there, we saw numerous people filming television shows and movies, which is apparently normal in Bath, since it is so visually appealing.
     We walked into the Jane Austen house with a French tour group on accident, and ended up getting to see it for free. It was so interesting to see the very house where she had lived in while writing Sense and Sensibility and other novels that I adored. I read all about her life, and even wrote with a quill pen in her writing room. This was one of my favorite parts of the trip by far.
     After the tour, we went back into the town square, and arrived at the Roman Bath House. I was so eager to see inside this ornate building, and when we walked inside, there was pools upon pools of blue-green water among the stone architecture. There were sculptures like on the castle in Beauty and the Beast, and I was in complete awe of this place. During the tour, I learned so much about the history of Bath. I decided this was my favorite destination we had been too yet, because though we were in England, I also felt as if we were in Rome.
     We ate meat pies at a restaurant in the middle of Bath and drank as much cider as our bellies could hold. I said goodbye to this place, but I knew that I would return one day. It was too perfect to not revisit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

the top of the mountains

 i grew up in a dry valley surrounded by mountains. Endless fields of corn and alfalfa stretched for miles until they reached the foot of th...